Saturday, May 30, 2009

The kit

Arrived yesterday and was installed.  Fuel no longer leaks from the tank.  I also rebuilt the carb while I was at it and set the float correctly so gas doesn't leak from there either.  I am still having a lot of trouble with the electronics.  I charged the battery so everything works as it should except the starter....  When I try to use it, i just makes one knocking sound and the the neutral light goes out, then comes back on (whenever it feels like it).  I have no idea what to do.  Every 5 or 6 tries it will actually engage...   I am having the same problem with the kick start.  I will only catch and turn over the engine every 20-25 kicks....which is tiring and I just end up giving up on starting it.  
Any suggestions on these two problems?  They are all that keeps me from riding it around.

2 comments:

  1. starter sounds like a sticky solenoid. wd40 to the rescue.
    kicker sounds like spring to engage arm is broken or not in place properly. if you take off the sidecover it should be apparent. have parts manual or service manual ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have the parts now and a manual. Thanks for the suggestions. I just got back from Japan and was looking forward to getting back to fixing my baby. I will let you know how it turns out

    ReplyDelete